Monday, October 10, 2011

Great Uncle Otto Hanson

FROM DAR HANSON AS TOLD TO BY LEONA  HANSON COPPO
My Great Uncle Otto was my Great Grandma Kristina's last child. He was almost a year old when his father (Pehr) drowned in a terrible accident at Lake Superior at Marquette, Michigan. Uncle Otto served in WW 1 in Brooklyn New York. His assignment was burying the dead from the infamous flu epidemic of 1918. He buried bodies for his entire stint in the service and was never sick a day! Leona said her father told her that the bodies were piled up like cord wood- from babies to the elderly. This before the advent of antibiotics. I'm told Great Grandma Kristina was not pleased about him going to war, pacing back and forth grumbling "I raised this child by myself - they have no right to take my baby!"

No comments:

Post a Comment