Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hide n' Seek

By: Ethan Hanson

I was trying to think back on some memories of Grandpa Rudy and Grandma Pearl...

I don't remember a whole lot about Grandpa Rudy, I was fairly little when he passed. But I do have one memory that sticks out, the game 'Egore'.   Us kids would run around and hide in the basement of their old house which had one large white room a hallway with the staircase and then the room with the heater, washer and dryer that was unfinished with pipes sticking out everywhere.  I remember few places to hide, but we always found somewhere in the dark...then the fun would begin, Grandpa Rudy would come down the stairs with his arms partially in the air saying in a deep voice, 'Eeeeegore'.  A few of us (Kellan Hanson, Brian Hanson and Matt Hanson our cousin) might squeak a little, laugh or make a movement and he would make his sudden movement in that direction.  Soon he'd find one and then the other...I remember my favorite place to hide was in the unfinished area over by the pipes above a wash area.  My memory is faint, but it makes me happy when I think about it.

I used to love to visit Grandma Pearl's house, everybody knows she let you eat whatever you want.  Ice cream for breakfast, ok, toast with extra butter and cinnamon, no problem!  I remember after breakfast, we'd play in the family room where there was a spiny chair, and we would spin and spin until we became dizzy we fell to the floor.  While we played, Grandma would work on her puzzles, the big and difficult kind.  After spinning we'd build big forts out of blankets and play under them for hours, she'd even let us sleep under them at night!  We always had fun at Grandma's house.

Ethan Hanson (Son of Grandma Pearls son, Darrell Hanson)

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading through your post I began remembering all those times we played Egore in the basement. I was too little to remember playing with grandpa, but I do remember all the times we played when dad had taken over the roll of "Egore". You used to hide by the washer and dryer, but I remember the one time you actually climbed up into the piping and sat on one of the bigger pipes close to the sealing. Dad looked and looked, but he couldn't find you until you stared laughing because you were just so cleaver.
    I had also forgotten about the spiny chair in the family room. We used to push each other so fast we couldn't walk.
    We had so much fun! Thanks for reminding me of all those great times.

    ReplyDelete